Wednesday, June 30, 2010

16. Language Dream

So, I had this dream that after 8 weeks of training I would be able to speak the language well.  I am slowly realizing that this probably will not happen.

After talking to other volunteers from years before these 8 weeks of training provide me with the tools and the grammatical understanding of the language to do my job.  But I have to continue studying on my own and more importantly get out and talk with people to develop my language and more importantly my confidence.

2.5 weeks of language and technical training down.  5.5 weeks left...

My new goal is to get out of my house and visit with people and try to develop my language skills outside of the classroom.  I don't like going outside of my house and visiting with people I do not know in the US, so it is time to force myself to grow.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

as an exchange student, it was christmas before I felt confident in what I heard and what I wanted to say; As a PCV (Ethiopia a million years ago), we still remember what we used alot.. but never mastered the conversation. Engage and muddle through.. it will come. I keep thinking, two year old children learn this... you can do it. It will come, like all things, with enough time and effort. Miami 1971

Post a Comment