Thursday, June 17, 2010

9. Mixture

Peace Corps Vocabulary:
     Trainee - Someone in country currently being trained.
     Volunteer - Someone sworn in as a volunteer that has completed the training.

There is a great mixture or people in the Peace Corps, at least in Moldova.  There are 69 trainees in the country and just over 95 volunteers currently serving.  Moldova, per capital, has the most Peace Corps Volunteers than any other Peace Corps Country.

In my group (69) there are 4 volunteers from Ohio including me.  Besides that, there at least 3 volunteers from Ohio currently serving.

Currently the 69 trainees are being trained in 6 different sites.  During these next 8 to 10 weeks these smaller groups will be doing language training and technical training.  In my group of 15 there are a few with masters degrees, some from farms, form all over the country, from age 22 to 58.  It is a lot of fun to get together and learn with a retired 55 year old farmer from Arkansas, a masters student off a New York dairy farm, a 58 year old former railroad man and a guy with dual citizenship with a few languages under his belt already.  That is just to name a few, the rest of my group is just as interesting.

The weather has thankfully cooled down and I am greatly enjoying my time here.  In about 4 weeks I will learn of the village and partner I will be working with after completion of the training.

0 comments:

Post a Comment