Tuesday, June 8, 2010

4. I Could Lose Those I love

About one month before I left for a Dominican Republic study abroad (January 2008) I lost my grandmother on my dad's side. And about a year ago I left for a 6 week study abroad trip to Beijing, China (June 2009). The night before I left for Chine my grandmother on my mom's side was rushed to the hospital. She died three days after I had been in China.

One of my largest fears is losing a loved one while I am gone. I know it is somewhat of a silly fear, and chances are it could happen to a grandparent. But I knew that Grandma would want me to continue to be in China and I know that those that I may lose would want me to do what I want as well.

I wrote this and my father read this at my grandmother's funeral while I was in China:

Grandma's Farewell
Other than my mother, my grandmother has been the most influential woman in my life. Everyone loved her and I have never heard any ill words about her. She was a very godly, loving, and caring woman. She put EVERYONE else before herself, even those she had not met.

Grandma has an amazing talent of making whoever and whomever she was talking to feel like the most important person in the world. If you spoke with her or were physically in her presence you would feel like you were the only person on this earth. And if you were family or a friend she usually had a good story to tell to others about you. I feel like it is time to turn the tables and tell stories and talk highly of her, she defiantly deserves it.

So many fond stories come to mind that I could share about her, many that I remember and others that were told to me.

One time, when I was younger about 5, I told her that we should go to Burger King for lunch because she liked their coffee the best.

She always liked to “embarrass” me by telling people and friends that I was a talker when I was a child, and how she use to take me around her house or wherever we were asking me to identify what the animal or object was that she was pointing at. So it is her fault if I pronounce some words incorrectly and the fact that at times I talk too much.

I am glad I am her “relation”, which is a word that only her and Auntie use. I try to use it whenever I can and always think of her and Auntie when I say ‘relation’.

I also remember fondly of her singing to me, while it was not the best, she sang to me a lot when I was younger. She use to sing, “I’m a lovely little petunia in an onion patch” as well as others. There is one question she asked me countless times that I remember fondly to this day. She would look at me and ask, “Guess what?” I would respond, “What?” and she answered, “I love you!”

She was not racist, but I remember one event were people may have thought so. She was visiting Auntie in the hospital and she was telling Aunt Susan about Auntie’s roommate, she said, “There was a colored woman in the bed next to Auntie… and she was really nice!” Clearly you can see that she did not prescribe to the idea of political correctness, and since you all know her, you know that she loved every human being.

Grandma, I know you would not want me to miss this experience in China and that you are always with me. Grandma, I wish I could be here today and tell you this myself: “I love you and will always miss you. I know you understand why I am in China and would not want me to miss this opportunity. It is hard to write this because I cannot see the monitor through my tears. I am glad you are with grandpa now, say ‘hi’ to him and Grandma Hornsby for me. I cannot wait until the day I see you and ask you “guess what” and wait for your answer of “what?” then I would say as I hold you tight in my arms and tell you that “I love you!”

Grandma, thank you for giving me, Timothy Hornsby, best title I have ever had: A Grandson of Mae Eileen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment