Thursday, July 1, 2010

17. Language

The best thing about this language is that 90% of the letters make the same sound, 100% of the time.  There are a few diphthong and a the letter 'C' has a few different sounds depending on what it is pared with, but overall it is very easy to read.

It is fairly easy to read once you stop thinking about how in English there is long and short vowels.  Romanian is easier than English when it comes to pronunciation.

Verb congregation is difficult.  If you say 'I am traveling' or 'We are traveling' not only do the first two words change, but traveling has a different ending depending on if it is I, you, he, she, we, they...  All nouns are either male or female, singular or plural and definite or indefinite.  So needless to say, I am overwhelmed some days when returning from school.

I enjoy the people I am studying with.  The Peace Corps is a good organization and has treated me well.  I am excited to continue learning and to find out my permanent site location next week.

Put the best part is, they say after I get a good understanding it will be easier to pick up the other romance languages.  I have heard that if I go to Italy after understanding the Romanian language I will be able to understand most Italian.

1 comments:

Jerrie said...

That is true about the romance languages. I know Spanish/Portugese so Italian came easier. You'll get the hang of it, Tim.

Post a Comment