Monday, June 28, 2010

15. Opening Umbrella's and Whistling

Superstitions are funny.  Most people do not actually believe them, but it still affects many people's actions.

In Moldova you are not suppose to whistle inside or you will loose money.  Many thought this was funny and illogical.  But I was thinking and speaking with my Peace Corps mentor and whistling inside in Moldova is pretty much the same as opening an umbrella inside in the US.

While I am not superstition, I do not usually open an umbrella inside.  My mentor said she was shopping in Moldova and saw a woman open and close an umbrella inside of a store and that she was "uncomfortable" because in the US that is something we do not generally do. 

So, I will try not to whistle inside while I am in Moldova (which is harder than not opening an umbrella inside in the US).

0 comments:

Post a Comment