Tuesday, May 24, 2011

116. Hay Fever

Spring, what an enjoyable and happy time of year.  People are playing tonsil hockey in the capital, there are baby animals at the house (chicks, kittens and lamb), plants are flowering and the gardens in town are growing.

But it also means the start to my allergy season.  The hardest part of having allergies is explaining it.  Telling some Moldavians that you have allergies/hay fever does not really convey that pollen, dust and dander affect me by causing sneezing, runny nose and itchy eyes.   So if I exhibit signs of hay fever some Moldavians believe that I am sick and that I should dress warmer, rest and other suggest other remedies to cure the “sickness”.

One day I was stuffed-up and had sinus issues, I was asked what was wrong, I said allergies probably from the flowers (I don’t know the word for pollen); the person told me that it could not be allergies and that I must be sick because the air in the village is clean.

Last year I believe that my host family thought that I was sick all fall because of my hay fever.  This year I am being faithful with taking medication and I hope to not have any other issues.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

worf for pollen-polen! :))

Post a Comment