Tuesday, May 17, 2011

114. You never know who you will meet

One Sunday I missed my normal bus back to my village.  I tried a second option, which was getting on a busy to Odessa, Ukraine which would drop me off on the outside of my village.  It was my first time trying this route.  I tried to talk to the driver of the bus I wanted to take, but he was from the Ukraine and did not know Romanian.

There was a man on the bus that knew English and helped translate for me.  The man and I started talking and he is a Ukrainian citizen with Bulgarian heritage.  He lives in Odessa, Ukraine and Seattle, USA; he has a little finance business in the Ukraine and has worked in business and for a missionary organization in the US.  He speaks Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian and English.  It was very interesting to talk to and to hear about his experiences.  His daughter teaches Russian at a university in Seattle.  I also learned that the Ukraine does not allow its citizens to have dual citizenship.

I love random meetings with people, especially when they have some kind of a connection with you like language or country.  There are always such fun stories.  The world continually gets smaller.

0 comments:

Post a Comment