Thursday, November 18, 2010

61. Women buying beer

I have been verifying my host sister’s English application to a university in Romania. After I was done she was very thankful and told me that she’s buy me a beer. This is the conversation that followed with my mom:

Mom: Is your host sister married?
Me: Yes, she’s 33 and living in the capital and has one son.
Mom: Good, I don’t like all these women buying you drinks.
Me: *thinking, what women have bought me drinks… and did I tell my mother this?*

I thought my conversation was pretty funny, so I told my host parents about their daughter saying she would buy me a beer and what my mom said.

Host Mom: Did you tell your mom that your host sister is married and has a child?
Me: Yes.
Host Mom: Why wouldn’t your mom want a woman to buy you a beer.
Me. Well, in the US it means… *started struggling with how to say ‘to date’ in Romanian*
Host Mom: That she wants to “make a friendship”? [in the Romanian language, if you say you are friends with a female it is assumed that she’s your girlfriend]
Me: Exactly.
Host Mom: It’s the same here.

And then we got into the conversation of how my mom would react if I got married in Moldova because my host family’s first volunteer had his wedding in Moldova. They also then started discussing women they know who I should meet.

2 comments:

Lidia said...

Este un blog interesant Tim, in care este foarte vizibil diferentele de mentalitate. O fi fost greseala mea ca in semn de respect am vrut sa te servesc cu o bere.

Unknown said...

Aceasta nu este o problema. Am crezut că a fost o poveste amuzant pe care am vrut să împartă.

Post a Comment