Tuesday, August 10, 2010

33. Life Lesson

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.  I believe that working for 9 months as a consultant for my fraternity, FarmHouse International Fraternity, was a great decision.  At the time I applied for the job I wasn't 100% how it would affect me, but it helped me grow in many ways.

One way I have grown by working for FarmHouse is the fact that I learned how important being a part of the community is.  It was difficult to be a part of Kansas City because I was only there one week a month, but I realize that is just an excuse.  Other than people at work and Kim's Aunt and Uncle, I knew no one in Kansas City, even though I lived there for, on the books, 9 months.  I also slowly learned to enjoy the city and take advantage of things even when I was 'friendless'.

This realization and understanding of how my mind works and what I do in situations/places I know nothing about will help me greatly in integrating into Moldavian life. I know I have to utilize the people I know to meet others and go outside of my comfort zone.  So I make sure I say hello to anyone I can, I try to speak with Children to work up my confidence in speaking and I try to visit/identify all places of business in my village.

I am excited to work here, lots of things I can do.  The language is coming along, I can say what I want to say usually, I just have difficulty understanding what others say do to their accent/voice and my limited vocabulary.  I was a little worried about my new host family, but they have been great and we are getting along fine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment