Friday, October 28, 2011

163. Tacos

One of the goals of the Peace Corps is to share American culture with Moldovans.   I decided to do that by making my host family and tutor tacos.  I know, it is not 100% American, but we like and eat a lot of tacos or at least I do.


This was the third think that I have ever made for my host fame, the first thing was Skyline Chili and the second was spaghetti with homemade red sauce.


Overall they liked tacos.  I could not find the fajita so we made them ourselves, my mother sent a seasoning packet for the meat and the rest was simple.  My host dad thought that the meat was too spiced and said that the, “the meat did not taste like meat”.  My host mom liked them and said we will make them in the future.

3 comments:

candango said...

Tim, When I was in Chisinau in 2003-2004, I decided to make corn tortillas (and then tacos) from scratch. One could not buy the Masa Harina (special corn flour treated with lime) needed for the dough, so I did some research and came up with a recipe. I then figured out the ingredients and how to get them. In the end, I made enough dough for several dozen corn tortillas, tostadas and tacos. You can make a few at a time, as the dough freezes well. So do the tortillas, by the way. If you are interested, drop me a line and I will send you the recipe and let you know where to get the ingredients - even in your village. Your host parents may laugh a bit, but they will be impressed. Bob Evans - candango1@yahoo.com

Aaron Henricksen said...

Tim, when I was living with your host family, I taught Doamna Maria to make tortillas and she frequently made the Moldovan version of breakfast tacos (a staple in Texas). Essentially, it was homemade tortillas, scrambled eggs, and sliced salami, with some salsa I brought from Texas. It was great and she would usually make enough to feed about 3 grown men. When my brother came to visit, he thoroughly enjoyed that breakfast as well.

Hope all is well in Antonesti.

Unknown said...

Aaron, she was telling me that she has made them before but she could not quite remember how. So she was excited to make them again. The other day she went to Metro (a Sam's Club like store in Moldova) and bought some tortillas.

She's made a rice and tomato sauce mixture wrapped in an omelet before, but not quite a breakfast taco.

Post a Comment