Friday, October 14, 2011

159. Bringing in the Hay

My host family has around five sheep (we had more but butchered some, so I can not keep track).  The story, as my host dad tells it, is that my host mother wanted/wants to sell the sheep but when they found out that a new volunteer was coming to live with them, they decided to keep them.  So when every my host family needs help with the sheep, I usually try to help because one of the reasons they have them is because of me.


I have helped a little with shearing them, but this summer I helped cut (not much, I am too tall for the sickle) and bring home hay so that the sheep have something to eat this winter. One morning at around 7am my host dad, most mom and I left on the tractor to collect the dry hay that host dad had already cut.


We then came home my host dad stayed in the hay mow, I stood on a roof in front of the mow and my host mom stood in the wagon and threw the hay on the roof which I would then throw into the hay mow for my host dad to arrange.


I enjoy helping the family when I can and when they need.  I also do not mind working with the hay… except I think I sneezed on average every 5 minutes during the 2 hour process.  If it was not for my allergies, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment