Thursday, October 27, 2011

162. Corn Pickin'


It is very common for everyone in the village to have about an acre of land around the village on which grains, fruits or vegetables are grown.  My host family, for the last two years, has grown corn so that the chickens, ducks, and the pig can be fed all winter.


My host dad has a small tractor, but he hires someone else to plant the crop.  It is also possible to hire someone to combine the crop but my host family uses the corn stalks for bedding and to feed the animals during the winter and they have the time to harvest the corn by hand.


Since harvesting around on acre of corn is a decent amount of work my host family asked if I could help.  I agreed gladly, because last year I was either busy or they did not trust me yet.


This year there were five of us and we each took two rows and walked the length of the field picking every ear of corn in those two rows and throwing them into piles.  After that we loaded all of the corn into the tractor and took it home, there we dekerneled the corn.  After this my host parents went and cut all of the corn stalks and brought them home 


We also grew pumpkins and squash in between the rows of corn.  We will eat them as well as grind them up to feed the animals.

0 comments:

Post a Comment