Tuesday, January 11, 2011

77. Friends or Girlfriends?

This conversation happened the first meal after coming back from a long weekend away from my village:

Host mom:  Did you find a girlfriend?
Me:  Haha, no…..
Host dad:  *Interrupting* No, he has girlfriends [spreads arms wide] as Black Sea (he said ‘as Black Sea’ in English).
Me:  Did you say my girlfriend was as big as the Black Sea or that I have many girlfriends?
Host dad:  Haha, that you have many girlfriends.

My host dad jokes about this possibly because I have a hard time saying the word friends [in male plural form] which is, “prieteni” rather than girlfriends [in female plural form] which is, “prietene”.  So I will come back from Chisinau and said, “A few of my girlfriends and I went to the outdoor art market.”  When I really just wanted to say, “A few of my friends and I went to the outdoor art market.” 

My host family has not tried to get me to date anyone, so maybe they really do think I have lots of girlfriends, haha, I fooled them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just asked Vitalie to give them a call to clear this up with them. Honesty is always the best policy;-)

JG

Unknown said...

I will keep your suggestion in mind, but I think I can handle it, lol.

Post a Comment