Thursday, March 10, 2011

97. A problem most PCV will experience

During our Peace Corps training, there have been a lot of discussions about how to be safe in Moldova. In my experience, I feel pretty safe but I also do not take unnecessary risks. Most of the trainings and discussions were common sense stuff, but one thing that a fair amount of volunteers have had problems with, is dog bites.

When I hear that dogs have bitten people, I laughed because I never thought that would be a problem for me. I always got along well with dogs and have watched the show 'Dog Whisperer' enough times to know how to keep my emotions under control and to establish myself as the pack leader.

But, I did have an incident with a dog. I was walking home and I was about 10 steps from the gate of my house when a knee-high black dog comes running from down the road and runs into my leg. He then walks past me and turns around and starts growling and barking. So I turn towards him to make sure he leaves me along, after 30 seconds or so he turns around and continue going the way he was heading. I go into the house and notice that my jeans and a boot has been ripped.  I just thought the dog ran into my leg, so needless to say I was not very happy.


I think part of the reason that dog attacks can be a problem is that there are a lot of dogs in Moldova. It seems like every home in the village has at least one dog, if not two. I would say the average in my village is 1.3 dogs per house. The dogs are generally used as doorbells/security systems and are generally not treated as pets.

0 comments:

Post a Comment