Sunday, July 4, 2010

19. Independence Day

Independence Day in a foreign country is like nothing else.  If you have not experienced that, I would highly suggest it.  Last year I was in China and it was a lot of fun and very patriotic, this year I am in Moldova and it was the same.

The US Embassy and the American Chamber of Commerce hosted an Independence Day party with wings, hamburgers, potato salad and other American-type picnic food.  There was also a live band, lots of music and games where the US and Moldavians competed against each other (as an example, tug of war).

It was enjoyable.  My goal was to rub elbows with important people, but I am not very good at that, plus no one had name tags, so I didn't know who to talk too.  It is times like that I wish I had a little more Grandma Schrote in me.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

In a situation like that, everyone is important..everyone is interesting... everyone has a story...You are also among those important, interesting people, so next time, don't worry about rank. We come from a place where all people are equal!

Post a Comment