Friday, March 9, 2012

199. Butchering, number 2

We butchered our second hog since I have lived with my host family.  This time I swore that I would be the one to end the hog's life.  But due to not getting directions, being a little nervous and my hesitation I got the knife taken away from me.

This is when we got 'Vasilica' but when we butchered him he was around 300 pounds
So, I did not kill this pig.  But I was afraid that I would not get the knife in the heart.  I did not want the pig to suffer, plus the more stress put on the animal affects the meat quality.  The last time we butchered a pig, my host dad missed the heard and it took a long time for the pig to die.

But this time, the guy that took the knife from me and efficiently and quietly killed the pig.  After the pig was dead the said, "Next time, you just take your hand and feel where the heart is beating and that is where you put the knife."  I appreciated the advice/direction... I just wish he would have done that a little earlier. 


If you want to see the process, you can check out my photos from the first time we butchered a pig: Post 150.  Here is some of the things that we made from the hog which was my gift to take with me on vacation:

0 comments:

Post a Comment