Friday, January 20, 2012

191. Favorite word in Romanian

A German friend of mine who has been living in Moldova for a while looked me very seriously and asked, “What is your favorite word in Romanian?”

I looked at him and replied, “Mahala.” He then says, “Yes! That is what I was hoping you would say.”

‘Mahala’ in the dictionary means suburb, but in Moldova (maybe in Romania too) it is commonly used for the neighborhood.

The reason that this word it my favorite word in Romanian is because it is just so fun to say. For English speakers I would phonetically spell the word ‘mahala’ as Mah-hall-lah. It is just so much fun to say! Just add 'mah' to the beginning of what this guys says:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite word to say is hepatita. Even if the word isn't fun, at least saying it in Romanian can be.

It was great seeing the village and the host family again.

All the best.

Aaron

Post a Comment