Monday, January 16, 2012

187. America in the Eyes of a Moldovan

I am often asked about America, everything from how I heat my house to my pets to American’s second language and many others.  I will also bring up the differences between America and Moldova when I think that people may be interested in the differences (which may not be different at all).

But I really enjoy it when I hear a Moldovan’s view of America.  My host mom was in Washington DC for three months, so it is always interesting to hear her views of America.  I also talked to a young man who moved to America when he was 13 or so and came back for a month over the summer to visit family.  It was very interesting to hear what he shared with his friends about America.

Most recently I listened to a conversation between a few teachers in my village.  I was going to my biweekly tutoring lesson at the local school and found my tutor with two other teachers.  It was during Christmas break and they were finishing up some paperwork.

One of the teachers had just returned from visiting her son in America.  He has been living in America, just outside of Atlanta, for the last five years or so.  I was a little jealous when I heard of her trip.  First she flew into and visited New York City; she went to the World Trade Center site among other things.  She then travelled to Washington DC, Atlanta, Miami and then somewhere on the Gulf of Mexico.

Some of her observations were that hardly anyone lives in the city.  She said that most of the people from Atlanta actually live in one of the three surrounding cities.  The point is pretty interesting, because for the most part American cities are spread out and do not have a lot of people living in the center of the city unlike European cities.  She also mentioned that she never saw cloths hanging out to dry.  In Moldova clothes dryers are not common and everyone hangs their cloths out to dry, even in tall apartment buildings people have a clothes drying rack attached to the outside of their window.  Another teacher asked if it was true that people do not take off their shoes when entering homes, she replied that it was true because everything was paved and there was not mud or dirt that could get tracked into the home.

The more I hear what Moldovans find interesting about Moldova the better I can respond when a new acquaintance asks me to talk about America.

0 comments:

Post a Comment