Wednesday, August 31, 2011

147. English Camp

The organization I work with in Moldova partnered with Baptist churches in our region of Moldova, volunteers from the US and Canada, and an organization that assists in the planning and staffing of Christian/English Language camps all over the world. We had a five day camp with 20 staff (10 North Americans and 10 Moldavians) and 50 youth from the ages of 13 to 18. The youth were from all over the region in which I am located in Moldova.


The camp devoted about a third of the day to English language education and American/Canadian culture, a third to sports activities, and a third to a worship service and small group discussions about life, God’s existence, knowing right and wrong, etc.



The Moldavian staff was made up of people from three different villages as well as a few guys who came back to Moldova on their summer break from working and studying in America. The North American staff was from Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Canada.



As many of you know, I just love being at camp. I have been at a camp as a camper or staff every year for the last 11 years except for a year or two. I was very excited to help. It was a blessing because I got to work closely with youth and adults from my village which strengthened my relationship with the people in my community. I was also able to practice my Romanian more than I would during a normal week.



It looks like I might have to extend my service just a little next year, so I can be involved in this camp next year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment