Wednesday, August 10, 2011

145. Eye Exams

A group of optometrists and optometrist students from Wales spent about a week in Moldova doing free eye exams and giving away free glasses. They even ordered specialized glasses if they did not bring the correct glasses with them.


This was partially organized by a missionary who lives in America but is originally from Romania. The missionary also does work with orphanages throughout Moldova.


Those that organized the group at the university have been doing these trips for many years in Romania, but this was one of their first trips into Moldova. Some of them even knew the words, phrases, and commands which would allow them to give eye exams.


The group spent three days in my village and gave eye exams and glasses away to over 900 people! Many were from my village, but also from about five other villages in the area. While I was not involved in the planning process, I was able to assist the group as a translator for the exams because they were one translator short.


I was also able to meet some Moldavian medical students who were helping as translators. I have also decided to add Wales to my list of places to visit after I finish my Peace Corps service.

1 comments:

Alvin Payne said...

I love that you have been able to provide eye care in Moldava. I like eye doctors and their practices that are willing to promote health and provide these services in other countries. Thank You.

Post a Comment