Tuesday, June 14, 2011

128. One Year Review

First photo taken in Moldova:

It has been one year (and a few days) since I have been in Moldova.  I feel like the time has flown and this next year will go even faster.  The first 6 months in Moldova were difficult, I was learning a new language, trying to learn how to maintain relationships with friends and family in the US, trying to get use to a new culture and trying to find ways to be beneficial to my new community.

Welcome to Moldova: 

Below are the reasons that I felt like joining the Peace Corps would be beneficial to me as well as where I am after one year when it comes to these hopes and goals:
  •  Language:  Becoming fluent in a new language, specifically so that I could use it in international business after my time in the Peace Corps.
    • I am not fluent in Romanian and probably will not be even after another year.  I also do not know how useful the Romanian language will be in business, but only the future will tell.  I am happy with where I am, learning a new language was my biggest fear when it came to joining the Peace Corps.
  • Contacts:  Networking with government officials and businesses in my host country.
    • While I have not focused on networking by going to events and programs, I have gotten to know a number of people throughout this year inside and outside of Moldova.  By the end of my two years I will have at least met around 200 volunteers in Moldova, not to mention staff and others.
  • Self-Understanding:  Get to know myself better, get away from the distractions of the US and to really figure out who I am.
    • In many ways I do feel like I know myself better, being so far away from family and friends really makes you think about how to keep yourself happy and proficient without being a few miles away.
  • Future:  Figure out what I want to do in the future, what direction to go.  I hope that the two years without monetary or employment issues with the new experience would help me in the future.
    • I had a nice plan made before I came (with Peace Corps in that plan) that seems to no longer be possible.  So far, I have learned that I do not want to work for the Peace Corps, grant foundations, or write grants.  I do like working overseas, but not sure if I will in the future.  My assumption that I would enjoy working in the private sector, specifically in the consulting or production industries, continues to be strengthened.
  •  Physical:  Get physically in-shape. 
    • I am not in any worse that I was when I got here, maybe a little better.  But I am exercising and I walk a little daily, which it more than what I did in the US.
  • Spiritual:  Focus on becoming more spiritually centered. 
    • I have read a bunch of books, but I would not say I am any more centered or really giving much more time towards this goal than I did in the US.
  • Travel:  Visit as many countries as possible.  I also think it would be important to live abroad if I happen to get into international business in the future.
    • This goal is being accomplished, and I am glad to have lived abroad for a year.  Since I have left the US I have visited:  Moldova, Romania and Israel.  My future visits that I am planning include:  Serbia, Egypt and Ukraine.  I also hope to finish my service around August 2012 and travel around Europe for a few months before returning to the US.
  • Benefits:  Finish my two years so I could enjoy the small stipend, utilize the grants/fellowships available to returned Peace Corps volunteers, and take advantage of the “Noncompetitive Eligibility” status offered by the Federal Government which is granted to return Peace Corps volunteers. 
    • I am still focused on completing my two years and do not see a reason not too.
Welcome meal at my training host family’s house:

My goals for my upcoming year of service:
  • Continuation:  Continue working on most of the previous goals.
  • Future:  Decide what to do after Peace Corps and where to go (MBA, work for the Federal Government, or work in private industry).
  • Improve:  Do what I can to improve my village and the organization that I work with.
  • Friendships:  This may be the last year that I see many of the friends I have made in the Peace Corps, I want to make the most it and spend time with them and help with projects.
  • See Moldova:  There are many places in Moldova which I have not seen.  I want to see the Soroca Castle, wineries, churches and monasteries that Moldova is known for; I also want to visit the locations where my friends in Peace Corps live.

Found out where I was going to live for two years:

1 comments:

candango said...

Well, done, Tim. You have "survived" the first year, the harder one of the two, what with the initial hurdle of learning a new language, culture, diet, etc, and you have come out on top. The second will be a piece of cake. Enjoy it.

Post a Comment