Wednesday, October 13, 2010

50. Mowing Lawns

I have spent a lot of time on a lawnmower in my life.  At the highest point, I would be on my mower about 8 hours a week.  What I enjoyed about mowing is the fact that my body was doing something but my brain could be thinking about other things.  I enjoy driving for the same reason.  When driving on the highway, as long as the cruise is set and you are keeping an eye out for other cars, it doesn't take a lot of brain power.  They key for me, is to be doing something.  Because if I am sitting in bed thinking, I feel like I should be accomplishing something.


Not only will I think while I am driving or mowing, but I'll sing, pray, review recent decisions and think about future options.  It is good to digest what is going on in my mind.  In a way mowing or driving is my quiet time with myself and God.

I miss mowing and driving a vehicle.  Both of which I am not allowed to do in Moldova, because of the rules of Peace Corps.  And besides, there aren't a lot of lawnmowers in Moldova.  So I have tried a few things to keep my body moving while allowing my mind to work.  I have helped my family in the fields, which is good.  I have tried running, but that's just too much work and it is hard to talk to yourself when you are gasping for air.

The best thing, I have found so far in Moldova is... assisting a local pasta manufacturing company make pasta.  I have been consulting with company and doing some labor to really understand the production process.  My job is usually to spread the freshly formed pasta into trying containers.  So it is a very easy, mundane task, but it gives me a lot of time to think, so I enjoy it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment