Thursday, October 28, 2010

52. Drink Water?

My host father was in the village talking to an older man who was finishing up making a bunch of wine.

Host father: Why did you make so much wine?
Man in Village: I don't drink water!

You may not believe it, but it has been said and I have observed that Moldavians do not regularly drink water, especially the older generations. It depends on the home, but in my home wine is on the table every lunch and dinner (unless we are having a dairy based meal). My first host family did not make wine, so alcohol was about as present in the house as it is for my family in the US.

The main way people stay hydrated here, is by having soup. It is uncommon if I do not have a big bowl of chicken based or beet based soup for lunch.

I guess I believe in the system, I don't carry a water bottle around anymore. But it isn't 90 degrees anymore and I do drink water and tea when I am at the house.

0 comments:

Post a Comment