Monday, November 14, 2011

169. Tractor on a Hill


You may wonder, why is this tractor sitting on a hill?  It could roll away, it could hurt someone or it could be blocking the path.  But more than likely the battery and or starter do not work, so the easiest way to start it is to park it on a hill and then when you want to go let it roll down to 'push start' the tractor.

I have seen more cars and tractors push started in Moldova than in my entire life in America.  I think that is mainly because in America a huge percentage of cars are automatic and cannot be push started but the other obvious point would be that people can save some money by not bothering to fix the starter/replace the battery by push starting.

One tractor I came across had a very small motor (like that on a string trimmer) that was used as a starter for a tractor.  My host dad uses a welder run through a converter to operate the starter so he does not have to use a battery.

0 comments:

Post a Comment