Tuesday, July 12, 2011

139. TV

Most Peace Corps volunteers do not watch much TV, but in my household it is common for us to finish of evening meal and then watch TV for an hour.  I like watching the news because it keeps me up to date on what is going on in Moldova, it is also good for my language because there is writing on the screen and video which helps me understand/learn words I do not know.

I think most volunteers do not watch TV because the majority of the programming is in Russian or, when it comes to movies, is dubbed in Russian.

I do not see a lot of TV sitcoms on Moldovan/Russian/Ukrainian TV, I do not know if they are not popular or it is more the fact that my host family does not watch them.  I have seen billboard ads in the Capitol promoting House, the Simpsons, Prison Break and other US TV shows.

The shows my host family enjoys the most are game shows, dancing with the starts type shows, Wipeout/challenge shows, performance/singing/karaoke shows, talk shows, dating/marriage shows and other reality type shows.  Many of these shows are made in Russia, I find it interesting that many of these shows have an international flair to them, one talent show I was watching that was made in Russia had participants from many of the former Soviet Union states.

0 comments:

Post a Comment